Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Speak Easy

My favorite bar in Seattle is a speakeasy style hole in the wall that serves prohibition-era classic cocktails. The bartenders know me by name...or rather, by my nickname....and they hug me when I walk in. I've been there once or twice..... At one point I had my own menu and could make notes about drinks I like and off-menu things I tried.

This place has a unique atmosphere, that they work to cultivate, by enforcing such rules as "no flash photography" and "dont bring anyone here you wouldn't invite to Sunday lunch at your grandmother's".

But the number one rule is "Speak easy."

A great rule, if you ask me. I wish more places had this rule. All too often, I'm finding I'm encountering speech that can be described as....un-easy, at least, but probably more accurately as harsh, crude, vulgar or foul.

Is nothing sacred? I find traditionally extreme and off-limits language cropping up in all kinds of places these days. The "F word", the "c word" and more are flying around at warp speed, with abundant regularity.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned....but it seems to me that just a LITTLE more effort by people would lead to FAR more creative statements, declarations and exclamations. Who's with me?!

No comments: