Monday, January 14, 2013

Some common themes


Us in a big doorway in a Thai palace


While in Singapore, the BF and I have traveled around a fair bit. We've seen a few other countries, a few times: 2 visits to Malaysia, 3 visits to Indonesia, 2 trips to Thailand, a week in Cambodia....and on every trip, the BF takes his camera and takes a lot of pictures. Sometimes he takes pictures of things I wouldnt take pictures of (like the electrical wires in Bangkok or oddly not-that-close close-ups of plants) but I'm glad he takes lots of pictures because I usually forget to take pictures....if I even remember to bring my camera. So I'm very grateful that's he's taking pictures for us.



But in all the photos, in all the different lands, a few themes have emerged:


The BF likes taking pictures of infrastructure. Power lines, buildings, public transportation, construction sites, posted signs, etc. Upon arriving in a hotel room, he immediately documents the room from every angle, taking photos of the bed, the desk, the balcony, the bathroom, the TV, everything.

Picture BF took: hotel bathtub
in Bangkok
Picture BF took:
 the bus we took to Malaysia
Picture BF took: large shopping
center near his apt in Singapore

I like taking pictures of mundane, everyday things. Food, salt shakers, beer, my feet, stuff we bought, us in front of signs for things, Asian versions of "normal" things, etc. I especially loved taking pics of shiny, shiny, tropical Christmas trees.

Picture I took:
Christmas tree in Bali
Picture I took:
delicious oxtail banh mi
Picture I took: my feet on the
beach in Phuket












But one of the more emerging themes is the type of things I like posing with/near. For some reason, I am really into having my picture taken in doorways. 



Me in a gateway.
It's kinda like a doorway.
Me in the doorway of an old
Indonesian snack trolley.

Cambodian temples had
 LOTS of doorways.

  
    


 Also, with fake animals. By "fake" I mean animal sculptures or statues. But sometimes the sculpture/statue is, in fact a replica of a non-existent creature, like a dragon or a merlion. In which case, I'm posing with a fake, fake animal.


And merlions.
Elephants are cool.

So are lions.
I'm riding the dragon.

Just chilling with the
water buffalo.
Me with a dragon.
Hugging the water buffalo


I'm not sure what this fascination means. But I'm not planning to change my ways any time soon. So all my family and friends can look forward to seeing more pics of me posing in doorways and taking pictures with fake animals. Get excited.

No comments: