Monday, May 21, 2012

Control-gaining reactivities

In health class in high school you probably learned about eating disorders. Anorexia, bulimia, compulsive over"eating....you know. You probably also learned that the root cause of many eating disorders is a desire for control. That's why many teenage girls suffer from eating disorders: they are seeking some control in their lives and not finding it in their home life or school life.

As we grow up and get more in touch with our emotions, we exert our need for control in other ways. And many of us are able to actually articulate that this is what we're doing, when we go shopping, paint things or go for a long drive. 

I've got a lot of change going on in my life right now. The BF is moving to Asia, things are weird at work (the ever-crazy world of client services) and I'm starting a grad school program in a few months. So in reaction to all of this change, I've been seeking some coping mechanisms - and yes, seeking some control.

After three trips to McDonald's, a visit to Wendy's, a delivery order to the Domino's that is LITERALLY 1.5 blocks from my house and a dinner consisting SOLELY of wine and ice cream (no real food, just wine and ice cream. I paired a nice pinot grigio with some QFC-brand chocolate chip cookie dough. It was nice.) I realized my emotional eating bender needed to stop. Like whoa.

Therefore, I have been seeking another outlet for my control-regaining needs. Like rearranging furniture. So far I have moved everything in my living room....then moved most of it back. I also have replaced some of my furniture with things I snagged from the BF, seeing as how he lives in another continent now. Yesterday was the final (for now) movement process. I'm pretty pleased with how things have landed. The couch returned to its original position - which is good because it means I dont have to move the pictures hanging above it. The loveseat, tv and buffet table all moved; I got a new coffee table, tv stand and end tables and replaced the old items. So far, I'm liking it. The room feels more open and homey at the same time. I'm thinking I now need to invite people over to eat and play cards or something. We'll see if I get around to that this week.......

No comments: