Thursday, May 24, 2012

DOLA?


Downside of Living Alone? 


It's not totally a downside...maybe just a side-effect. Or an oddity. Or  something.


It has to do with food. 


When I grocery shop, I tend to buy things that are on sale. Especially produce. Things that are in-season are fresher, better and more likely to be on sale. So that's what I do. And if something's on REAL good sale, I buy a lot. 


This is a great strategy for buying healthy, affordable groceries. Not so much for making meals that aren't bizarre.


As a result, I tend to eat a lot of side dishes. Most things that my mother would consider a side dish, I consider dinner. For example, this week, because cabbage was on sale, I made an awesome cabbage/apple slaw. And proceeded to have that for dinner. It was delicious. But it was a side dish.


I consider this a side effect of living alone. It's rarely worth the effort for me to plan and cook a full meal for just myself. Between the shopping and preparing and cooking - AND DISHWASHING (reminder: my apt does not have a dishwasher. I wash everything by hand.) - it's just not something I'm into. 


So I guess I'll continue having side dishes for dinner. Maybe I should reinstate family dinner night for FrankieWayne and The Tad. Hmmm....

No comments: