Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cambodia: the last day

Ok, last post about Cambodia, I promise.


Me with the 50 cent beer. Note the pile of bags in the
chair next to me. That would be after we stuffed the
smaller bags inside the bigger bags, for easy
carrying.  Srsly. Like 10 bags.
Our last day in Cambodia, we toured around town one more time, making our last visit to the market and shops. The highlights:


  • We bought about $100 worth of bags. Made from cement bags. This organization in Cambodia helps villagers sew bags and sell them for part ownership in the company and the money they make. So, we bought really rad bags (tote bags and duffle bags and miniature pencil case/toiletry bags). All told, we spent about $100 on bags.

The BF at the sidewalk cafe


    The 50 cent beer
  • 50 cent beers. We found a lovely little restaurant on the corner across from the market and had some snacks and beers. And because it was happy hour, the beers (local Anchor beer) was 50 cents. I had two. That means I spent a whole $1 on beers. We need more happy hour like that in America. Or in Singapore, for that matter.

    My feet in the tank of fishes. Also in the tank, a nice
    couple from Florida and the 9-year-old girl who shamed
    my feet into the water.
    The fish are eating my feet.
  • Fish ate my feet. They offered fishy foot massage: $3 for 30 minutes of fish massage. And a beer. So, clearly we did that. We sat on the edge of a large fish tank, smack in the middle of the sidewalk, with our feet in a tank full of tiny fish. As soon as our feet entered the water, the fish started nibbling on our dead skin. After marching through temples for a few days and "accidentally" hiking up a mountain in the rain and sweating profusely and wearing sandals and Sperrys....our feet had PLENTY of dead skin to feed the fishies. The sensation of having a little sucker fish eat the skin off your feet is super tickly and weird. So much so that The BF started screaming like a girl when he put his feet in. And I gave myself a core and quad workout sitting on the edge of the tank, bouncing my feet in and out of the water, holding them just above the surface, gathering the courage to dunk my feet all the way in and leave them. It wasnt until a 9 year old girl from NY sat down beside me and made fun of me for being a wimp that I got my feet all the way in and left them there.
All in all, we had a great trip to Cambodia. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an adventurous vacation and a trip to SE Asia.

No comments: